Baking Therapy {Food Love}


This is my lovely 4 year old daughter, Georgia May. She is an extraordinary baker already and here is her first batch of spritz cookies for the season. She truly loves cooking and baking and loves to learn new recipes and techniques. 

We cook and bake together every day. I include her in almost all meal preparation and she has even learned to cook at the stove with my help and supervision. And then there are baking projects she can do herself from start to finish (with the exception of handling items in and out of the oven, of course). 

Since my accident, I have been stumbling through work (day job as HR Manager) and life. Apparently sitting and working on a computer is the worst thing I could be doing right now. Given that my profession is almost 100% doing just that, things have been a challenge, to say the least.

I was baking these cookies with Georgia and Olivia. It really helps that Georgia can do a lot of the "work" and wants to. It makes it much easier for me to do something fun with the kids without hurting myself.

A friend was asking if I am in pain when I am baking. I began to explain that standing, moving around the kitchen, and using my hands actually was a lot easier than sitting. (still painful but better). They commented that baking must actually be therapy for me. 

You know how if you say something out loud it just becomes more true? Well, in that moment it all sunk in. Yes, baking is actually helping me right now. With the exception of lifting, most tasks in the kitchen feel good. I have been advised to "keep moving" which is good. I am not a lay-around-and-do-nothing kind of person. So, in fact, light cooking and baking is likely helping me recover.

So there you have it. The thing I love the most, the place I love to be the most, are indeed the best for me right now. Thank goodness. I don't know what I would do if my doctor said stop baking. Well, I would go crazy. Maybe lose some weight. Ha ha. But at least I have something I can do that's good for me, fun for the kids, and produces delicious results. 

Is baking a form of therapy for you? If so, what do you love to bake more than anything else?

~Kimberley

No comments:

 
Site By Designer Blogs