Easy Yummy Scones



I am in love with scones. I have been for quite some time. Every time I make them I fall in love just a little bit more. They are one of the most satisfying baked goods to make from scratch. A far cry from what we have become accustomed to eating at cafes and coffee shops, the homemade scone made with butter, is a treat to be revered. And it is easy. Shhhhh. I shouldn't even tell you how easy it is to make scones. But I am sharing my secret with you. Because I really love scones.


This batch was lemon. But you can make almost any kind of scone that you can dream up or make something traditional like currant. Raspberry is one of my favorites. But you know how much I love lemons. So I had to make you Lemon Scones. 

Secrets to this being so easy? It is a one bowl recipe. It takes very little time or baking skill. It takes few ingredients. So easy that my 5 year old has been making these since before she was 2. And now she has the recipe memorized. She recites it to me. Because as I age I tend to forget it. This works out well for me.

Easy Yummy Lemon Scones
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in center
  • In a large bowl, mix 2 cups AP flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • To this, add 4 Tablespoons sugar and blend to combine
  • Cut in 1 stick of cold butter with a pastry blender or two knives until pea-sized pieces of butter are mixed throughout
  • Add zest of 1 large lemon (or other mix-in as desired, such as currants, berries, or chocolate chips)
  • Make a well in center and add 1 egg and 1/2 cup milk or cream
  • Combine dough until mixed thoroughly
  • Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and pat with floured hands into a circle that is about 1 inch thick
  • Cut into 6 or 8 wedges, depending on desired size of scone
  • Place on parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet
  • Brush tops of scones with cream and sprinkle with sugar
  • Bake for approx 15 minutes until lightly browned on top
  • Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool
  • Serve with butter, lemon curd, or jam. Eat and enjoy!


Baking with lemons is so easy, especially when you have a handy tool for zesting. Save the zested lemon for juicing but be sure to store in fridge to prevent it from drying out. Never waste a lemon. They are so versatile and what I consider a "perfect food". 

Enjoy!
~Kimberley

No comments:

 
Site By Designer Blogs